An Introduction to the History of Hudson Township

By Township Clerk Frank D. Wasylewski and Carol Goodenough
September 22nd, 2008
Hudson Township Hall
07865 Reyolds Road
Elmira, Michigan

Hudson Township takes its beginnings from Otsego County.  Otsego County occupies the highest lands of the great central plateau of Northern Michigan, comprising the main watershed that sends the headwaters of the Cheboygan River toward the North, the AuSable toward the East and the Manistee toward the west.

Otsego County was first laid out in 1840 and given the name “OKKUDO”, a native American word for “sickly” or “stomach pain” by Henry Schoolcraft.  The name was changed to Otsego by an act of legislature in March, 1843.  The historical marker in front of the courthouse define Otsego as meaning “clear water”.

Otsego County was one of the last counties opened for settlement due to problems of inaccessibility.  The first attempts at permanent settlement did not occur until 1868 and the first state road in the county, from Mancelona to Otsego Lake, was cut through the southern section of the county in 1869 and 1870. 

Otsego County lost a portion of land before its first settlers arrived.  Hudson Township, which made up the Northwest corner of the county was removed and added to the Charlevoix area to give them enough land to establish their own county government after a dispute with Petoskey over the location of the county seat in Emmet County.  1869 is the year that Hudson Township officially joined Charlevoix County.

The 2000 census of the United States says Hudson Township is a civil township of Charlevoix County and had a township population of 639.  The township has a total area of 35.5 square miles of which 34.4 square miles is land and 1.1 square miles of it is water.  Hudson Cemetery is the only cemetery and there are 7 lakes – Black, Bows, Standard, Thumb, Heart, Hoffman, and Kidney.

Direction to the Township Hall are: “Take U.S. 131 South out of Boyne Falls.  In 4.3 miles turn left (east) onto Geim Road.  In 1 mile turn left (North) onto Blann Road.  In 1.4 miles turn right (east) onto Reynolds Road.  The Township Hall is 1.2 miles.  It is before N. Camp 10 Road but after Kuzmick Road.”